CHARLEY Company prev contents next





 A Charley Company man once said. "No one report can conceivably embody all the minor incidents. the individual courage and action which make up the larger frame of the conduct of a unit in battle."  No remark could be more true, and C Company's story condensed to fit this page, is an example.  For the Company, commanded by Capt. Donald Robblee.  Was in the thick of things from the Sauer to the Mulde.

Charley got off to a tragic start when a group of men moving into positions in the Siegfried line were guided unwittingly into an enemy minefield, where one man was killed and four were wounded.  Lt. Henry D. Mitman carefully withdrew his men from the field and S/Sgt. Lyle F. Fraser and Pfc. De Roos carried the wounded through the minefield and into the comparative safety of a pillbox.  All three men received the Bronze Star.

Charley was engaged throughout the Line operations, and on one occasion a patrol had to make nine attempts to get up a hill before succeeding.  At this point shelling was so heavy that it took 48 minutes to make 400 yards.  Relieved on February 19th, "C" moved to Ernzen where it was on the defensive until the 24th.

The company was in Battalion reserve in the attack on Prümzurley but was out in front on the attack on Irrel.  Point blank fire from TD's had no apparent effect on a huge pillbox overlooking the town and the road down which the company had to move.  This was the fortification known as the "Katzenkopf".  And while an assault team crawled to within 30 yards of it and kept the Jerries buttoned up, the rest of the company marched by in an open column and secured the town.

Along the Rhine. Pfc. Robert E. Quinn became the first man of the Division to cross the river, navigating it in a small boat to pick up a wounded Kraut on the far shore.  Quinn won himself a Bronze Star.  Then having crossed the Rhine, Charley had the pleasure of liberating 200 joyous Russian Prisoners of War at Holzhausen. 

Two days later, C Company attacked Rod which was heavily defended by SS Troops.  Artillery and mortars were called in and it was taken, and in rapid succession the company captured Wilhelmsdorf,  Hundtstedt and Eschbach.  One of the roughest deals the company ran into was the attack on the town of Helsa on the 5th of April.  The leading second platoon drew 88, tank. artillery and small arms fire, and three attempts to storm the place were repulsed.  Losses were three men killed and eight wounded.

But Charley men like best to tell about Landscheid, where two rockets were fired into the chow line, puncturing a jeep and knocking out the chocolate pudding.

Charley had some of the toughest assignments, but came through gloriously.  As Captain Robblee said, "An ugly and dangerous job well done."  Ugly and dangerous though it was, the Doughs of Charley waited in without regard for their own safety, and with fine teamwork, immeasurably did their part.


Capt. Donald E. Robblee





next prev contents prev to start DOG Company