76th Division

Additions, Corrections and Memories

Harold James Davies Cyril (Bud) Schultz Robert Vellve Charles B. Schatz, Sr.
Bob Fahey Allan Thomas John Hartcorn Woodrow Knox
Edmund F. Glowacki William M. DiCorcia Chester H. McKie Pvt John E. Johnson
Hector Vincent Martinez

NAME: Harold James Davies, F Co., 385th Inf. Regt.
I joined the 248th CA in 1937. I joined the US Army Oct. 2nd, 1939 at Fort Lewis. Wes Barcliff (home town buddy) and I were shipped to Fort Winfield Scott at San Francisco, where we underwent vigorous training by 50 year old vets. They were good, and made good recruits of us.
1940, we were shipped to Ft. Lewis and then to Fort Richardson, Alaska, or Anchorage. We were making gun positions for about two years, and then Wes and I were separated up.
Wes went to Nome. It was a poor place for soldiers, all they could do is work, no entertainment. Then we both went back to Seattle, Ft. Lawton, then to Ft. Bliss, Texas.
Wes went to Ft. Benning and I followed to jump school. We made our jumps and were shipped to Boston, where I left for Glasco, Scotland. Then to England, then to LaHarve (they were still fighting there).
We made our way to Luxembourg where I joined Patton's Third Army, 76th Division, 385th Infantry, Company F. We fought our way across the Seine River, the Sarr River. I was on the third tank to cross the Rhine River. By then we had lost many men. I finally got hit with a bazooka.
Later I got gangrene, and this about finished me. The medics in the US are the best and I have had the best care from the US Army and the VA people. I'm proud of them all. I'm still having a good life at 79 years.
--Harold James Davies July 12, 2000

Sent in by Mr. Davies' son, Frank Davies, who adds: ...He has also mentioned seeing a V-2 launch at night. (He was on a ridge looking down into a valley.) He was wounded in/near Ruxenburg. But nobody seems to know where that is, certainly not dad. Could be that the spelling and pronunciation are very wrong. I believe he was a "days walk" from Berlin when hit. He spent six months in a hospital in England before returning to the states aboard a hospital ship...

NAME:Cyril (Bud) Schultz, Anti-Tank Company, 2nd Battalion, 304th Inf. Regt. (01 Jan. 2002)

From John Schultz, son of Cyril Schultz
My Father Cyril (Bud) Schultz told many stories to us. One of which his unit was resting in an old German building and he fell asleep. So the bombing began and his buddies were unable to wake him. He must of been a sound sleeper. After several attempts to wake him were unsuccessful, his unit moved out. Soon my father awoke and walked outside to find the only building still standing from the bombing was the one he was in. I'm not sure if this is a true story or not but it's one that my father told us many years ago. My father was assigned to the Anti-Tank Platoon, 2nd Battalion, 304th Infantry Regiment. I have several books and memorabilia that he brought back from the war, to include my prize possession, a "Stars and Stripes" newspaper. On the headlines the paper states "Germans Surrender in Holland, Denmark; 7th and 5th Link Up."

NAME:Robert Vellve, Weapons Platoon, G Company, 304th Inf. Regt. (11 June 2002)

I can't believe that I've come across this website but I'll be brief. I was a member of Company G 304th, weapons platoon, starting at Camp McCoy and ending in Hof, Germany. I'm originally a New Yorker and attended some of the get-togethers in that city. Am now living in Paris, France and some years ago visited Echternach and various points along the Moselle and Rhine. I'd be delighted to hear from anyone who remembers me. E-mail: robertv@9online.fr

NAME:Sgt. Charles B. Schatz, Sr., 76th Division(24 Aug. 2002)

The following is what my Dad (Sgt Charles B. Schatz, SR) told me about his time in the 76th Infantry Division. He always mentioned that this unit was part of Patton's Third Army...
He entered Europe in January, 1945 thru the French port of Le Havre...He remembered that his regiment fought thru Luxemburg and crossed the Rhine between Boppard and St Goar....He remembered quite clearly that he came very close to death on Good Friday, near the village of Schmitten??, due to a German 88 barrage....
His unit entered Leipzig sometime in April, 1945 where he took his first war souveneir, a German Swastika with Maltese Cross...He, also, told me a story of how a British Major ordered him and several others to help Liberate a concentration camp somewhere (I guess) in Eastern Germany.. He was never sure what camp it was...He was ordered to bring up the Burgemeister from a nearby village to have them see what had occurred there...The Burgemeister was unaware, of course, as to what the camp was being used for....
My father's unit ended the war in Europe in Chemnitz, Czechoslovakia....
I think his regiment was the 329th...I know for sure that the Company he was in was "I"....He was always proud of his service to his country and the time he was part of the 76th Infantry Division...My Dad passed away on June 24th, 1994...Several weeks before that he had his last action from the war...a nightmare, another War souveneir...
Bud Schatz

NAME:Bob Fahey, D Co., 304th Inf., 76th Division(19 June 2002)

George Georgeff, Dave Fratt (KIA) had just finished lunch. We were billited at a large former Victorian-like spa in Bournmouth, Eng. We had been given oranges, and were walking down the street eating them. An elderly man and a little boy aproached us. The man said, "Would you fellows allow my grandson to see your oranges and let him sniff them? He's never had one." All three of us leaped a wall, sneaked into the mess hall storage room and grabbed some of the fruit. All in all, the man and boy left with at least six or seven oranges. Sure, we could have been in trouble, but it was worth seeing the joy on the young lad's face at his first taste of an orange. It was a lesson on how much the Brits had missed during the war. The spa was called Linden Hall Hydro. Does anyone remember? I am the only one left of the three. George, from Osego NY, died of a heart attack c. ten years ago.

Bob Fahey, 401 Ave E, Ft. Madison, Ia. 52627
319 372 1988
D Co. 304th

NAME:Allan Thomas, K Co., 385th Inf., 76th Division(12 Oct. 2002)

I was a member of the 385th Infantry Regiment, Company K, 76th Infantry Division. I joined the Company at Camp McCoy, Wisconsin in June of 1944. I was lucky enough to survive all the battles of the 385th without getting wounded and I shipped home on a Liberty ship in October of 1945.
I remember our first battle, to take a pillbox across the river from the little town of Echternach, Luxembourg. We crossed the river under artillery fire on a little pontoon bridge built by an engineer group the night before. We had to go up a steep hill under heavy rifle and machine gun fire. When we finally made it to the top, the pillbox was still ahead of us across a field about 200 yards away. We called for a smoke barrage on the pill box and after about two hours of fighting we captured the box. We lost 9 men killed and 6 wounded in this one little battle. Half of them were from my Co.K.

NAME:John Hartcorn, 301st Engineer Combat Battalion, 76th Division(29 Apr. 2003)

I was replacement rushed over in February March 1945, 14 days at sea in a enormous convoy Landing at Le Havre we were trucked thru France and Luxembourg right to the front where the 76th Division was positioned....maybe around Trier, Germany. As a Pfc, I learned never to be the first or last in a line-up.....so I positioned myself third in line as we were to be assigned to one of the units. The Sgt counted off the first three, including me and said you guys report to the 301st Engineer Combat Battlion. The rest of you are being assigned to infantry regiments. Funny....I had been trained in the engineers in Louisiana, so I fit right in.
I saw a fair share of action and then came the river crossing. We moved at night to the bank of a swift moving river and started our boat and plank work. We had gotten about one quarter accross....the sun was coming up. Suddenly...bullets were cracking over my head. We all hit the ground and were pinned down for two hours by a platoon of Germans on the other side. At least two wounded. In the middle of the action a truck carrying our food drove up behind us. The driver saw us all hugging the ground and jumped out yelling...Hot food in the truck if anybody wants it and raced for cover.
We were rescued by a single tank that set up behind us and some 105 howitzer rounds that came over the horizon and cut off the enemy from retreating. Eventually a farm woman appeared on the other side waving a white flag. The Germans gave up, we finished the bridge and the German platoon walked over our bridge. I stayed with the 301st all the way to the outskirts of Leipzig. Even though I have the 76th Division history book, I am not sure of the name of that river or the town on the other side. Any input from who ever might read this story would be most appreciated. I was called back to active duty during the Korean War and spent three years in Italy. Quite a different experience. I am now 80 years old, in reasonably good health and live in Ridgefield, Connecticut. I have not forgotten my 100 days with the 76th.
John Hartcorn

NAME:Woodrow Knox, 76th Division(26 May 2003)

From: Mark Waldenberger To: Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2003 3:45 AM Subject: NEED YOUR ASSISTANCE FINDING MY GRANDFATHER

My name is Mark Waldenberger and I am hopeful that perhaps you or other members of the 76th Infantry Division might be able to help me find my biological grandfather, Woodrow Knox. You see, I don't know much about him except that he was at Fort McCoy in Wisconsin sometime around 1943/44, he was a tall fellow, he originally hailed from somewhere down south and he was with my grandmother, Evelyn Rudi, which is how my father came to be and then me. My father was born on 17 July 1944 so I am guessing that my grandfather and grandmother were together sometime around October or November of 1943 probably at a function at the post or something.
I will tell you why this is so important to me. I never knew my grandfather and neither did my Dad. He was always told that my grandfather had left he and my grandmother and never tried to contact them after that. With my grandmother's recent passing, we learned that was not the truth and that in fact he had an allotment for my grandmother and it continued for some time, up until sometime in 1947 I believe, and then he just dropped off the radar. My grandmother never explained this to my dad and it is only now that she has passed that her sister gave us the name and what details she could remember.
Unfortunately, since I cannot prove that I am kin until I confirm my grandfather, I cannot obtain service records and although I have found one man who seems to fit the bill, I can't confirm that he was at Fort McCoy. I am not even sure that he was with the 76th but I know that he was at the Fort and I am sure that there weren't that many Woodrow Knox's running about that someone wouldn't remember something about him I could use for verification or even a service number or something.
Bottom line Sir, is that I can't seem to get any help and I really want to find out both for myself and for my Dad. He went through his childhood as an only child and never knowing his real Dad and it's eaten at him over the years. These revelations that came about after the death of my grandmother have really perked him up. Not only does he now know that his Dad didn't just abandon him but he now knows that he may have family out there that he can establish contact with.
Can you help me out? If you could pass the word among your members and see if anyone remembers a Woodrow Knox and anything specific about him, I would be forever in your debt. It is, as you probably can tell, very important to me and my family. You can e-mail me by replying to this letter. Thank you very much for any help you can give me. God bless.

Mark Waldenberger

P.S. Here is a breakdown of the pertinent information:
Grandfather's Name: Woodrow Knox
Branch of Service: Army(Reserve?)
Approx. Time Period: Oct/Nov 1943-? Fort McCoy
Grandmother's Name: Evelyn Rudi
Father's Name: Everett Wayne Waldenberger
Grandfather had allotments made out to grandmother and payments continued up until sometime in 1947(?) Grandfather Characteristics: Tall, good looking, originally from down south.

NAME:Edmund F. Glowacki,B Battery, 302 FA Battalion, 76th Division(20 September 2004)

My dad, Edmund F. Glowacki, was a linesman in B Battery of the 302nd FA Battalion of the 76th Infantry Division. Initially he joined the Army in June of 1941 and was stationed with the coast artillery north of San Francisco at Fort Barry.
From there he was assigned to the Army Specialized Training Program. He attended classes at Stanford and the University of Wisconsin. Although he grew up in a Polish family and spoke Polish fluently, I always thought it odd and funny that the Army was training him to speak Italian.
When the ASTP was broken up Dad was offered the choice to be commisioned as a second lieutenant or be assigned to the signal corp. As he was never one who seemed to appreciate officers (he told me some stories about his run-ins with them at different times), he chose to be a linesman.
His combat experience was as a corporal in Europe. He told me of several times he was shot at, from miles away by 88’s or from snipers while he was up on a telephone pole. Once he was baited to a broken phone line by the Germans and escaped mortar fire by the skin of his teeth.
He travelled back to the States on the Queen Mary and returned to his home in Chicago. There he raised a family (my three sisters and me) and loved his wife until his passing on 23 March 2004. He told me more than once that he wouldn’t rejoin the Army if he was offered a million dollars, but he wouldn’t take a million in exchange for the time he spent in service either.
He gave five years of his life in service to our country. Others gave much more. I am among those who owe them for their sacrifice, for the wonderful life I have enjoyed.

Ed Glowacki, Jr
Jacksonville, Florida

NAME:William M. DiCorcia,76th Division Band, (22 December 2004)

Hi Gerry:
My name is William M. DiCorcia. I live at 2153 Sunstone Dr., Lakeland FL. 33813-1958 (863) 644-0029. I served in the 76th Div. Band as a trumpet player. When we arrived in England we were told to send our instruments home. While in the States Father Washington came on our 25 mile hike with our unit. I took a picture of Father Washington and our Seargent O'Dell the leader of our twenty five mile hike. When I came home I sent the picture to his Mother with a short note. I'm sorry to say that she had never acknowledged the picture.
Anyway, I was assigned to the 417th Regiment when we left England and as a forward observer. I carried the RCA backpack 30 pounder. I was only 5'3'' and that was a hugh bundle believe me.
Anyway, till I hear from you I will just ask a question if you can help me. I have received my medals years ago and I disposed of all the wrappings and boxes I am now looking at them and I wish I had some kind of explanation for a few of the medals I received. I guess the Elections sent me scrambling to look over my medals which I haven't done in over fifty years. My question is. Would you know where I could write to ask for a confirmation of my "Medals"?

Thank you,
Bill Di Corcia

NAME:Chester H. McKie,76th Infantry Division, (27 May 2008)

Hello Mr. Brown,
My Dad, Chester H. McKie, was in the 76th Infantry Division. He recently passed away at the age of 87 and I wanted to let someone know. I'm so glad I found this website on the internet.
My Dad's "army buddies" meant the world to him, as did his memories of serving along side of them in World War II. He and my Mom attended the annual Army reunions for many years throughout the 1970's and 80's. He often visited the towns of many of his friends across the country and they too, made it to Massachusetts to stay with us back when I was a teenager. I believe the last address for my parents was either in Chicopee or Southwick, MA. He lived here in our town of East Longmeadow for the last two years of his life.
As my brothers' and I went through his memoriablia, it just validated how important the 76th was to my Dad. He wore his ONAWAY lapel pin throughout his funeral services and we laid him to rest wearing that honor. A local member of the United States Army played taps at his funeral. What a wonderful tribute.
Please forward the news of my Dad's passing to anyone who keeps record. Is the ONAWAY still published, and if so, do they still have the section of veterans that have passed called "TAPS?" If so, I would love a copy of that issue to add to his collection of memories from the 76th Infantry Division, now our memories.
Thank you so much for your time,

Melissa McKie-Mailman
261 Westwood Avenue
East Longmeadow, MA 01028

NAME:Pvt John E. Johnson, 301st Engineer Combat Battalion, 76th Infantry Division, (10 July 2008)

Greetings Sir,
My grandfather was Pvt John E. Johnson 42081902, 301st Engineer Combat Battalion, 76th Infantry Division, killed in action on 5 March 1945 during the Kyll River crossing.
My dad has little information as he was only 8 years old at the time, but if his memory serves him well relies on what the family was told by personnel detailing his death. He remembers vividly the day the postman came to the house with the telegram reporting my grandfather’s death. Normally the postman just put the mail in the box, but on this dreadful day he pulled into the driveway and walked to the side door of the house to personally deliver the telegram. Eventually they were told that Granddad was killed while either building the bridge crossing or helping with the boats (…the details are unsure).
My grandmother was eventually given his purple heart, a flag, and a copy of the Division book, “We Ripened Fast”. Dad had the Purple Heart at one point and I remember the rare privilege of being allowed to hold it, but unfortunately one of my aunts or uncles lost it along with the book while they had them in their possession. My dad can still to this day rattle off granddads service number as he had to help my grandmother fill out much of the paperwork required to receive various military benefits.
A few years ago I did a little research and found an original copy of “We Ripened Fast” which I presented to my dad. I also found an original 76th Infantry Division shoulder patch and made my dad a little plaque with it and a picture of the Luxembourg cemetery where my grandfather was laid to rest.
Though I was far from being thought of at the time, I am extremely proud to be the grandson of John Edward Johnson whose name I bear. And, to those of you who served with the 76th, well, words would fail to express my admiration and respect for you. Thank You!
If anyone knew my grandfather, was with the 301st, or was at the Kyll River on 5 March 1945, I would love to correspond with you and find out what I can.
A bond-servant of Christ,
Earnest Edward Johnson

NAME:Hector Vincent Martinez, 417th Inf. (11 May 2015)

Dear Mr. Brown

My father Hector Vincent Martinez served with the 417th infantry Regiment, 76th infantry Division. He was a heavy Machine gunner. When I was little he told stories of how cold the winter was in the Ardennes. He earned a bronze star while escorting an officer in a jeep. The jeep hit a mine. He was thrown off the jeep and sustained a broken leg. The Germans started to attack their position, he had to jump back on the the jeep man the 50 cal on the jeep and fought off the Germans. Enclosed are 2 photos. I am interested in further history of 417th infantry regiment of 76 infantry division.

Thank You for your attention,
Alex Martinez

View Photo

View Photo

Return to Front Page